THE MONDAY MEMO
September 19, 2011 DPT Class of 2014
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” ― Aldous Huxley
Leaving Friday’s Interpersonal Forum, many of us felt like ignored facts. Why did it take an hour for us to hear our profession represented? Why did it take a 2nd year med/public health student, of all people, to stress the importance of our expertise? Why don’t people know who we are or what physical therapists do? It was degrading, humiliating, and completely unnecessary. Yet, we can’t blame anyone but ourselves as it all boils down to education.
During this period of transition for our profession into a DPT graduate degree and as the scope of our involvement grows, we must educate not only patients, but also other health care providers in our awesomeness (or… skill sets). It’s our obligation to demonstrate our expertise effectively with other professionals who aren’t used to working with physical therapists. They simply don’t know what we can do and they won’t know until someone tells them! Advocate for our profession and educate the doctors, nurses, pharmacologists, dentists, nutritionists, and all other providers on our specialties!
In the coming months, we will have plenty of opportunities for everyone to contribute and become involved. We can only earn the respect we deserve if we put in the work to deserve it! At least one thing is for sure; the DPT Class of 2014 will not be ignored!
Mark Your Calendars!
- Saturday and Sunday Oct. 1st and 2nd Pitt-Marquette Soft Tissue Course This course will include taping techniques, structural integration, fascial manipulation, and FAKTR from some of the best clinicians in the country.
- Monday: Patient Management– bring tape measures to class
- Monday: Musculoskeletal– Group 2 @ 1:00pm, Entire Class @ 2-3pm, Group 1 @ 4pm
- Wednesday: Survey of Human Disease– Immune System Quiz due by midnight on CourseWeb
- Wednesday: Clinical Ed.– Communication Quiz in class (know your PeopleSoft ID)
- Friday: Research Methods– Quiz #3 due by Fri. on CourseWeb
- Friday: Group B Rounds– Includes everyone from Malacarne – Wolgat, from 12pm – 1pm in Rm. 4060
- Friday: Apparel Order Forms Due– Make checks out to “Pitt DPT 2013” and please turn in your order forms to Lauren Rosso. In case you want to try anything on, the supplier we are purchasing them from is called Underground Printing. They are located on Meyran between Fifth and Forbes. They may be able to find a sample in their stock.
- Saturday: ND Tailgate? Scavenger Hunt? Last good weekend for a while!
- Remember, our first Basic Skills Competency in Musculoskeletal is coming up NEXT Monday. Make sure to practice everything we’ve learned so far because it’s all fair game!