The Monday Memo
September 10, 2012 PITT DPT STUDENTS
Lighting that Fire!
Welcome back to The Monday Memo! After the scope of our semesters have come into focus, it’s time to bring back your favorite kick-starter to each week. This past Friday, we officially welcomed the 2015 DPT Class at the University of Pittsburgh into the profession of physical therapy with a Pledge Ceremony at the Frick Fine Arts Building. The guest speaker, Michael Ganz (c/o 2002), spoke about professionalism and advocacy through the APTA. Our current APTA President, Dr. Paul Rockar, challenged the 1st year class to continually strive to reach high goals and set the bar even higher for the class coming behind them next year!
In the spirit of achievement and believing in yourself, here are a few examples of amazing things people have done despite the odds- in just 24 hours.
- Mike Morton, 41 year old from the USA, just set an new American record by running 172.45 miles in 24 hours to win the 24 Hour World Championships in Poland. The old American record was 165.7 miles by Scott Jurek, when he took a silver at the same event 2 years ago. Morton not only won the race, but he demolished the field, beating the second place competitor by 9.83 miles.
- Ben Friberg, in the Yukon Territory of Canada, set a new 24 hour stand-up paddleboarding distance world record. Despite brutal wind and frequent self-doubt, Friberg paddled 238 miles through the subarctic Northland. Read more here.
The lesson? Remember, you have the ability to accomplish amazing things, push yourself beyond those imaginary limits and get the most out of every experience of everyday.
Mark Your Calendars!
- Wednesday, Sept. 12 – 4:00pm Rm 6045 – Prof. Deb Josbeno is looking for volunteers to be participants in a photo shoot aimed at promoting our physical therapy program. I heard we’ll be popping wheelies in wheelchairs…
- Friday, Sept. 14 – 1:00 – 5:00pm – Movement Analysis Class (MMSK3) with guest lecturer Beth Fisher!
- Saturday, Sept. 15 – Chad Cook and Beth Fisher courses – check your e-mails for the reduced student rate and instructions on how to register!
Please keep checking this calendar for upcoming deadlines, syllabus changes and events!
- 1st Annual PT/OT Social – It was a total success! Thank you to everyone who contributed!
- Pitt PT Clothing Drive – Please help spread the word by sharing the link to your friends, family and clinical instructors. Also, you’ll receive an order form in your mailboxes. Feel free to photocopy and distribute! The preferred ordering method is via PayPal, but we’ll accept checks too. Also, Underground Printing (117 Meyran Ave.) should have the items in the store to sample the different sizes in case you need some guidance!