THE MONDAY MEMO
February 13, 2012 DPT Class of 2014
Combined Sections Meeting
What a turnout for this year’s CSM in Chicago! Overall, there were 12,654 present (over 3k students!) making it the largest in history. Despite being first-year students and first-time attendees, there were plenty of lectures, forums, and events for us to attend. You’d certainly be proud of the University of Pittsburgh group as we refused to be passive observers and certainly embraced our mantra of being lifelong (active) learners. Whether this was evident by introducing ourselves to others, quietly approaching the presenters after a session or posing a question to a discussion panel directly in front of thousands of pairs of intently listening ears, we spoke intelligently and demonstrated our ability to think critically about the topics at hand.
Aside from the knowledge and expertise, the most impressive element of the conference was the unmistakable excitement and optimism in the air. It was communicable and everyone partook. Witnessing the passion, commitment and enthusiasm for our profession was incredibly inspiring. In addition, it was plainly clear that we all saw each other as colleagues, not in some hierarchy based on seniority or expertise. Everyone was, indeed, equally approachable and eager to converse. If there was to be one take home message, it is that ‘we are the APTA’. None of us can practice in isolation and our professional organization is 100% dependent on every single licensed therapist and student in the country. The first-year class hopes to give a brief presentation on our experience next Wednesday at noon. All are encouraged to attend!
Mark Your Calendars!
- Monday, February 20th – Evidence-Based Practice – 1st part of project due; scenario and question
- Monday, February 20th – Application deadline to be a student usher at PT 2012 in Tampa, FL More info: http://www.apta.org/annualconference/ushers/
- Friday, February 24th – CIET Midterm Evaluations Due
- Sunday, February 26th – Survey of Human Disease – Hepatic Quiz due on CourseWeb
- Saturday, March 31st – First-Year Formal
- Monday: Evidence-Based Practice – Split Class
- 7:00 – 7:50 am (Left Side of Room) 6th floor computer lab
- 4:00 – 4:50pm (Right Side of Room) 6th floor computer lab
- Monday: Cardiopulmonary – Quiz in class
- Monday: Neuroscience Lab – 12 – 1:00pm optional review session
- Wednesday: Neuroscience Lab –Lab Practical
- 9:30am (Group 1) Agrawal, Beckman, Blackburn, Collins, Daughenbaugh, DeBole, Farver, Fountain, Goldstein, Hassinger, Janusz, Jowaiszas, Karhoff, Leary, Malacarne, Mick, Mortensen, Mullins, O’Connell, Pepicelli, Poploski, Rosso, Rubeor, Sedlock, Spenser, Still
- 10:45am (Group 2) Everyone else!
- Friday: Patient Management – Mid-Term in class
- Friday: PT Rounds – Group B
- Friday: Survey of Human Disease – Possible guest speaker; business casual attire
- We need to submit our APTA membership list by 4/30/12 in order to be eligible in the Reach 100 initiative conducted by the Student Assembly Board of Directors!