The Monday Memo
November 12, 2012 PITT DPT STUDENTS
As first year physical therapy students, we have been presented with the challenge of learning a multitude of patient presentations, pathologies, and treatments. Meeting that challenge head-on, we have readily fallen victim to several of our own diagnoses: chronic fatigue syndrome, attention deficit disorders of varying severity, and dehydration due to caffeine intake, to name a few. That being said, we are collectively failing to recognize the milestone that we are rapidly approaching – the end of our first fall semester.
Viewed as the top 1%, we have been celebrated as the best of the best. We push ourselves to our limits because we intend to become the leaders in our professional community. Replaying on a circuit in our brains is some variation of the phrase, “if we study what is merely average, we will remain merely average” (check out the video below to hear Shawn Achor’s opinion on that!). Average is not our forte, and by choosing a Pittsburgh education we have set our standards high.
I am inspired by the dedication of my classmates, and continue to strive for excellence because I am encouraged and supported through my DPT family. They have changed the lens through which I view a challenge. We are a team, accomplishing more than we give ourselves credit for. Continue to stay motivated and optimistic! Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and you’ve consumed enough coffee to remain a Starbucks rewards member for years to come.
Social Media Updates
- Unite Physical Therapy Students – If you haven’t yet, please check out the “Doctor of Physical Therapy Students” Facebook page. More than 3,300 students have already joined!
- Our own page! Pitt Physical Therapy, thanks to the Social Media Team, has create an official PittPT Facebook page!
- #SolvePT (meets on Twitter from 9-10pm EST)
- Log ‘N Blog – Things went great this weekend. Please ‘Like’ the Facebook page and tell your friends about the effort!
Mark Your Calendars!
(Students – also check the Calendar) Please keep checking this calendar for upcoming deadlines, syllabus changes and events!
- Wednesday, Nov. 14 – Musculoskeletal I – Oral Practical: Knee and Foot
- Tuesday, Nov. 13 – Growth and Development – Site visits!
- Tuesday, Nov. 13 – Neuromuscular PT II – Site visits!
- Thursday, Nov. 15 – Musculoskeletal III – Comprehensive Practical Exam
- Tuesday, Nov. 13 – SWD PPTA Meeting @ VA Pittsburgh
- Friday, Nov. 16 – PT Rounds – Second half of alphabet
- Clothing Orders Pick up – Friday, Nov. 16 from 12:00 PM – 5:00 PM
- Preview Pitt PT – Saturday February 9th in Forbes Tower. We will be looking for volunteers to professionally represent our school as we welcome the accepted applicants on their chance to see what we’re all about!