Dr. Ginger Garner PT, DPT, ATC/L
Medical Therapeutic Yoga: Foundations for Yoga Practice in Physical Therapy
Dates: February 21-22, 2020 [Fri 5-7pm, Sat 8am-5:30pm]
Continuing Education Units: 10 hours
Location: UPMC Freddie Fu Sports Medicine Center
3200 S Water Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15203
All proceeds from this course will be donated to the Foundation for Physical Therapy as part of the Mercer-Marquette Challenge
Sorry, but we are unable to issue refunds
Discuss the medical Therapeutic Yoga (MTY) biopsychosocial model and its use in lifestyle medicine, pain management & health promotion across the lifespan in physical therapy. Participants will also apply the 10 MTY Precepts to physical therapy practice in order to increase clinical efficacy and safety of yoga prescription in healthcare and wellness care.
- Discuss the Medical Therapeutic Yoga (MTY) biopsychosocial model and its use in lifestyle medicine, pain management & health promotion across the lifespan in physical therapy.
- Apply the 10 MTY Precepts to physical therapy practice in order to increase clinical efficacy and safety of yoga prescription in healthcare and wellness care.
- List indications for using the MTY Functional Movement Assessment (FMA) algorithm in physical therapy practice.
- Demonstrate knowledge of guidelines to practice, teaching, manual cueing, and instruction in yoga postures, breathing techniques, and mindfulness, and meditation.
- Verbalize the tenets of trauma-informed yoga in physical therapy practice.
Part I – Foundations
- Meditation & Opening Practice
- 10 Precepts of MTY in Physical Therapy Practice
- Lifestyle Medicine in Physical Therapy Practice: The Pentagon of Wellness Model & Health Promotion
- Vector Analysis
- Common Factors & General Therapeutic Effects
Part II – Practice
- Applying the Vector Analysis
- Lab – Breathwork
- Lab – Movement
- Lab – Case Studies
- 4:30 PM Registration
- 5 PM – Welcome, Introduction, Pre-Test
- 6 PM – Introduction to MTY – Precepts, Pentagon of Wellness Biopsychosocial Model, Lifestyle Medicine & Health Promotion in PT Practice, Vector Analysis
- 7 PM – Adjourn
Saturday (8 AM -5:30 PM)
- 8 AM – Q&A
- 8:30 – Using the Vector Analysis
- 9:30 – Break
- 9:45 – FMA Foundations – Experiencing Mindful Movement (LAB)
- 11:15 – FMA – Breaking it Down – Breathwork & Meditation
- 12:30 – Lunch
- 1:30 – FMA – Breaking it Down – Movement & Meditation
- 3:00 – Break
- 3:15 – Putting it All Together – Using the Model in Practice
- 5:00 – Closure, Post-Test
- 5:30 – Adjourn