THE MONDAY MEMO
December 5, 2011 DPT Class of 2014
The Grassroots Push to Extend Therapy Cap Exceptions Process
In case you missed the messages (from the APTA and our own APTA Class Representatives), Congress needs to take action to prevent the scheduled expiration of the therapy cap exceptions process before December 31. If Congress were to fail to act, there would be a 27.4% cut in provider payments under the Medicare physician fee schedule. This cut would effectively remove patients with lymphedema, long-term disabilities, total hip and knee replacements and all Medicare patients from receiving physical therapy. No one would be able to afford physical therapy, a treatment option we know that has proven its cost-effectiveness for many diagnoses and disorders.
Currently, the PTeam is advocating for this extension on Capitol Hill, but the APTA is asking its members to organize and demonstrate support by contacting our Members of Congress. As mentioned before, please access the Legislative Action Center and take action by urging Congress to sign onto the Therapy Cap Repeal legislation (H.R. 1546/S. 829). Thank you for taking the little time needed to make a big difference!
Mark Your Calendars!
- This Week – Contact your Spring Clinical locations
- Monday, December 12th – First-Year Formal – 2nd deposit due to Rachel
- Friday, January 6th – Meeting to plan ‘Preview Pitt PT’ – more details soon
- Saturday, January 14th – ‘Preview Pitt PT’ Day
- Monday: Patient Management – Check-off due (possible extension?)
- Monday: Musculoskeletal – 12:30pm – Knee & Ankle Exam Review
- Monday: Musculoskeletal – PBL Presentations / proper UE & LE attire required for lab
- Wednesday: Clinical Education – Review resumes’ of guests; come prepared to ask questions
- Wednesday: Clinical Education – Cultural Competency Quiz due
- Friday: Research Methods – FINAL
- Friday: Patient Management – WRITTEN FINAL
- Friday: Clinical Education – CIET, Self-Assessment, Site Evaluation due
- Sunday: Survey of Human Disease – Diabetes Quiz due on CourseWeb
- Thursday, December 8th – Last day of Fall Clinical (be sure to thank them!)
- CAM- Please consider attending the Combined Sections Meeting in Chicago, IL from February 8 – 11th with us! The PTGSA is currently looking into the best travel options to get the most number of people there for the cheapest cost. If you’d like to go, be sure to sign up ASAP on www.apta.org The Early Bird deadline is Friday, December 9th! Please, also be sure to either notify Andrea, Rob or Matt if you’re in!