THE MONDAY MEMO
February 27, 2012 DPT Class of 2014
Learn It, Earn It, Return It
This past Friday, the University of Pittsburgh celebrated its 225th Anniversary with the 36th Annual Honors Convocation making it “An ideal time to reflect on Pitt’s accomplishments in providing individuals with abundant opportunities ‘to build better lives,’ for themselves and their communities,” said Chancellor Mark A. Nordenberg. Though over 1,800 graduate and undergraduate scholarship recipients filled the grandiose Carnegie Music Hall, only three honorees were awarded the 2011 Distinguished Alumni Fellow Awards. Needless to say, we were all in awe yet proud of their outstanding resumes and accomplishments representing our university.
During their acceptance speeches, each reflected on the power and importance of receiving assistance along their path to success. Without the charitable efforts of others, they themselves would be unable to ‘learn it, earn it and return it.’ Everyone needs assistance; everyone needs encouragement. As we continue through our graduate education and professional careers, let’s remember the significant influences our DPT program has afforded us and to reciprocate. We all can do more to enhance the opportunities of others. David A. Tepper (BA Economics ‘72), one of the humble award recipients, summarized the importance of generosity well when he said, “If and only if an individual gives back, may he consider himself distinguished.”
Mark Your Calendars!
- Saturday & Sunday, March 3rd & 4th – Pitt-Marquette Hosts –Dr. George Davies
- Friday & Saturday, March 9th & 10th – Pitt-Marquette Hosts –Dr. Tom McPoil
- Tuesday, March 13th – PPTA Meeting – Deep Brain Stimulation, Catherine Birk, MD @ Healthsouth Harmarville
- Friday, March 16th – End of Early Bird Registration for PT Annual Conference
- Saturday, March 24th – Mini-CSM – 9:00am – 12:00pm PPTA Southwest District! Lots of students attending!
- Saturday, March 31st – First-Year Formal
- Monday: Cardiopulmonary – Midterm Exam
- Monday: Evidence-Based Practice – Midterm Exam
- Wednesday: Neuroscience Lab – Quiz on Ascending Tracts
- Friday: Patient Management – Guest speaker on Prosthetics
- Friday: PT Rounds – Group B
- Friday: Survey of Human Disease –Midterm Exam
- Sign up for the Mini-CSM hosted by the PPTA Southwest District
- Be sure to attend the ‘Meet & Greet’ social following the lectures, hosted by the PPTA Representatives and PTGSA
- We need to submit our APTA membership list by 4/30/12 in order to be eligible in the Reach 100 initiative conducted by the Student Assembly Board of Directors!