THE MONDAY MEMO
September 12, 2011 DPT Class of 2014
Ceremony Echoes Consistent Message of Program
Friday’s Inaugural Professionalism Pledge Ceremony marked the beginning of our professional careers. Guest speaker, Andre Heletsi, not only shared his appreciation for Pitt’s program but also stressed the importance becoming a life-long learner in order to pursue excellence. Despite graduating in 2006, asking critical questions and completing extra homework remain part of his routine. We are developing the skill-sets and habits that we’ll continue to rely on daily in the field. Early in the summer semester, the faculty challenged us to view the next three years as a professional program, not as a graduate program. This week, in the classroom and clinic, let’s carry ourselves not as practicing students but as learning professionals. Our careers have officially started and hopefully everyone is excited for the journey ahead!
Mark Your Calendars!
• Wednesday, Sept. 14th @ 10am – 2pm Healthy U Fair“7 Dimensions of Wellness” at William Pitt Union Lawn- University of Pittsburgh has developed a special program called Healthy U to help students become more intentional about maintaining optimal heath. Students will be asked to “Commit to a Healthy U” and those who do will receive a free t-shirt and be eligible for other giveaways and prizes. It’d be great for our class to support this University initiative and attend during our lunch break! Wear your PITT PT Shirts!
• Friday, Sept. 16th @ 7:15am Social Breakfast– come early to enjoy some coffee and bagels before class! Also a chance to hear about some fun upcoming social events!
• Friday, Sept. 23rd– Clothing Sale Order Forms Due! Please bring to your clinic and ask around! Proceeds will benefit our class! Place money and order forms in Abbey Herrnberger’s student mailbox on the 6th floor or to Corrine Grubb in Rm. 6062.
• Week of Oct. 10th– Dr. Kelly e-mailed everyone regarding the specifics of the Scully Dialogue Lecture and Legacy Laureate Session as well as other events. Please mark those dates accordingly.
• Monday: Musculoskeletal– 8am – 12pm AND bring in a $100 check made out to “University of Pittsburgh” to purchase instructional DVD from Prof. Timko
• Monday: Patient Management– 1pm – 5pm in Victoria Hall Rm. 245
• Wednesday: Musculoskeletal– Group 1 lab from 8am – 9am, Joint Lecture from 9am –11am, Group 2 lab from 11am – 12pm
• Wednesday: Clinical Education– Communication Assignment
• Friday: Research Methods– complete Quiz 2 by Fri. on CourseWeb
• Friday: Patient Management– No Class
• Saturday: Patient Management– complete Body Mechanics Quiz by Sat. on CourseWeb
• Friday: Group A Rounds– Includes everyone from Agrawal – Lehman, from 12pm – 1pm in Rm. 4060 (Group B Rounds start on 9/23)
• Friday: Interpersonal Forum– Scaife Hall Auditorium #5 & 6, from 1:30 – 2:30, attendance is mandatory, reception to follow,
• E-mails– Prof. Bise asked everyone to check their inboxes to make sure Evidence Express is working properly- this is the article push service we’ll be using.
• Monday, Oct. 3rd General Scholarship Application Form Due- Submitting one application will include you for all eligible scholarships, submit to Arlene Smith in 6035.
• Clothing Sale Order Forms!
• Vital Sign Log– bring to clinic and practice! Assignment is due Nov. 18th.