Concussion Treatment at UPMC
See the ESPN Outside The Lines Video
THE MONDAY MEMO
September 26, 2011 DPT Class of 2014
Calling All Volunteers!
Hopefully everyone has settled into their schedules and is ready to completely load their plate with other things! Along with SHRS, the Class of 2014 is finalizing details on a number of opportunities for people to become more involved. We’ll especially need extra help with class fundraising; more to come on that later. Other chances include the Halloween at the Children’s Hospital, SHRS Open House and more. Also, if you have your own ideas or areas you’d like for us to collectively become involved- speak up! Look out for announcements and please let your intentions be known if you’d like to assist!
In an effort to keep everyone better informed, please check out www.PittPhysicalTherapy.com and follow us on Twitter @ PittPT (it’s a work in progress…)
Mark Your Calendars!
- October 6th– International Fair 5:00 – 5:30pm – the Student Advisory Board is looking for a few volunteers to help with cleaning up after the event. More details to come but if you’re interested, please e-mail Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org
- October 26th– Post-Exam Dodgeball– looks like the faculty might field a team! Still working out the details but mark it on the calendar!
- November 5th– SHRS Open House– again, details are coming but we’re looking for 5 to 7 students to help out
- Monday: Musculoskeletal– Basic Skills Competency Testing in the AM- remember to bring your toolbox and arrive at least 10min early
- Monday: Patient Management– 1:00– 5:00pm Victoria Hall Room 245
- Wednesday: Clinical Ed.– Guest Lecturer, Dr. Paul Rockar (VP on the Board of APTA, past President of PPTA, responsible for advocating for direct access in PA)- dress in business casual and come prepared with questions regarding professional, health care, reform, insurance, and lobbying issues
- Friday: Research Methods– Quiz #4 due by Fri. on CourseWeb
- Friday: Group A Rounds– top of the alphabet, from 12pm – 1pm in Rm. 4060- overflow area in Room 6045
- Get your flu shots! Sept 29th, 11:00 – 2:00pm Flu Vaccine at Student Health Service Medical Arts Building, 5th Floor. Flu vaccine is available for a cost of only $15. Valid Pitt ID is required. Flu shots are also offered at Allegheny Health for $25
- October 3rd– General Scholarship Application Due– turn into Arlene Smith in Room 6035
- Shout-out! Hope you’re feeling better Professor Hergenroeder!
The Pledge of William S. Dietrich II Is Most In School History
Christmas came early for the University of Pittsburgh! William S. Dietrich II graduated from Pitt and knows the value of education. He not only hopes to help lessen the financial strain on the university amidst state budget cuts, but also wishes the publicity will inspire similar acts from the wealthy. What other wealthy grads can we turn upside-down? Read the full story.
September 19, 2011 DPT Class of 2014
“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” ― Aldous Huxley
Leaving Friday’s Interpersonal Forum, many of us felt like ignored facts. Why did it take an hour for us to hear our profession represented? Why did it take a 2nd year med/public health student, of all people, to stress the importance of our expertise? Why don’t people know who we are or what physical therapists do? It was degrading, humiliating, and completely unnecessary. Yet, we can’t blame anyone but ourselves as it all boils down to education.
During this period of transition for our profession into a DPT graduate degree and as the scope of our involvement grows, we must educate not only patients, but also other health care providers in our awesomeness (or… skill sets). It’s our obligation to demonstrate our expertise effectively with other professionals who aren’t used to working with physical therapists. They simply don’t know what we can do and they won’t know until someone tells them! Advocate for our profession and educate the doctors, nurses, pharmacologists, dentists, nutritionists, and all other providers on our specialties!
In the coming months, we will have plenty of opportunities for everyone to contribute and become involved. We can only earn the respect we deserve if we put in the work to deserve it! At least one thing is for sure; the DPT Class of 2014 will not be ignored!
Mark Your Calendars!
- Saturday and Sunday Oct. 1st and 2nd Pitt-Marquette Soft Tissue Course This course will include taping techniques, structural integration, fascial manipulation, and FAKTR from some of the best clinicians in the country.
- Monday: Patient Management– bring tape measures to class
- Monday: Musculoskeletal– Group 2 @ 1:00pm, Entire Class @ 2-3pm, Group 1 @ 4pm
- Wednesday: Survey of Human Disease– Immune System Quiz due by midnight on CourseWeb
- Wednesday: Clinical Ed.– Communication Quiz in class (know your PeopleSoft ID)
- Friday: Research Methods– Quiz #3 due by Fri. on CourseWeb
- Friday: Group B Rounds– Includes everyone from Malacarne – Wolgat, from 12pm – 1pm in Rm. 4060
- Friday: Apparel Order Forms Due– Make checks out to “Pitt DPT 2013” and please turn in your order forms to Lauren Rosso. In case you want to try anything on, the supplier we are purchasing them from is called Underground Printing. They are located on Meyran between Fifth and Forbes. They may be able to find a sample in their stock.
- Saturday: ND Tailgate? Scavenger Hunt? Last good weekend for a while!
- Remember, our first Basic Skills Competency in Musculoskeletal is coming up NEXT Monday. Make sure to practice everything we’ve learned so far because it’s all fair game!